Perform all engineering functions in the administration, design, construction observation, project management, and engineering work involved in complex municipal, public works and utilities projects, with a primary focus on stormwater quality.
Principal Duties: This is the fully functioning journey-level classification in the engineering series. This position works under general supervision of the Stormwater Quality Program manager and is expected to complete complex engineering assignments requiring the use of judgment and initiative in developing solutions to problems, interpreting general policies, and determining work assignments. Work at this level is distinguished by greater complexity of the assignments received and by the greater independence with which an incumbent is expected to operate.
Responsibilities typically include the technical supervision of engineering, technical, and labor positions within the scope of project management.
- Serve as project engineer or project manager on major and complex public works and utilities projects including transportation, water distribution, wastewater collection and storm drainage capital improvement projects as well as development review. Assume responsibility for project quality, scheduling, and project finances. Provide technical expertise for project team, primarily in support of the Stormwater Quality Program.
- Perform and supervise the development of designs, plans, specifications, construction scheduling, and estimates for the construction of public works and utilities projects. May supervise and direct engineering fieldwork.
- Develop and review RFP’s; select and supervise professional consulting engineers for the development of plans, specifications, studies, and reports.
- Review construction plans prepared by consulting engineers and resolve related issues. Prepare and review specifications, and plans and calculate cost estimates for diverse engineering projects.
- Perform field inspections on various projects. Resolve complex engineering problems, interpret specifications, and act as expert on pertinent City code and policy.
- Check and review computations and specified materials for accuracy and compliance with regulations. Monitor performance and check plans to ensure contractor compliance with City specifications.
- Administer and ensure compliance with City standards, codes, and specifications on development projects. Assist in the development and modification of City codes, standards, and specifications.
- Prepare periodic project status reports. Provide performance and task analysis required to complete projects.
- Review and make recommendations on technical reports and studies. Act as technical resource expert in engineering matters.
- May assist in the preparation of the capital improvement plan and budget and in the preparation of the operating budget. Perform cost management and tracking.
- Respond to and resolve citizen complaints and issues regarding engineering problems. Acts as a representative of the City in resolution of issues.
- Coordinate and negotiate engineering and construction related activities with other City divisions and departments, development schedules, and outside agencies.
- Oversee and review survey, mapping, and data collection.
- May supervise, train, and evaluate professional and technical subordinates.
- Serve as City representative to a variety of City commissions, boards, committees, and neighborhood meetings related to assigned public works and utilities projects.
- Prepare various applications for state and federal grants.
- Attend professional group meetings; and stay abreast of new trends and innovations in the field of Civil Engineering.
- Build alliances, foster effective teamwork and build constructive relationships within and between individuals and other work groups. Coordinate activities with other City departments, divisions, outside agencies, the public and contractors.
- Demonstrate behavior that sets a positive example for integrity, fiscal responsibility and professionalism.
- Resolve customer issues. Evaluate customer services and make appropriate adjustments.
- Performs essential duties and additional tasks in a manner which enhances City Attributes.
APPLY ONLINE AT