Southeast Metro Stormwater Authority (SEMSWA) has an immediate opening for a full-time, FLSA exempt position as Senior Environmental Specialist or Environmental Specialist, dependent on qualifications. SEMSWA fosters a respectful and energetic work environment and a positive, productive, and rewarding workplace culture that
supports employee growth and development. It is a dynamic organization responsible for specialized engineering, water quality compliance, capital construction and maintenance in providing stormwater and floodplain management for residents and businesses in the City of Centennial and unincorporated Arapahoe County.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Senior Environmental Specialist performs independent professional work in the administration and implementation of the municipal separate storm sewer system (MS4) permit program, associated water quality improvements, and planning initiatives. The Environmental Specialist would perform these duties and responsibilities under close supervision. The work associated with these positions can, at present, be performed with a combination of in-office and remote work (hybrid schedule).
Works under the direct supervision of the Environmental Resources Manager.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Coordinates compliance with MS4 permits, to include the Public Outreach and Education; Illicit Discharge, Detection, and Elimination (IDDE); Construction; Post-
construction, and Municipal Operations programs.
• Coordinates permit administration, which may include: MS4 annual report; permit-related quality assurance/quality control; monitor, review, and comment Sr. Environmental Specialist/Environmental Specialist page 2 of 4
2022.05.04 on permit renewals; and review associated local, state, and federal stormwater regulations, permits, and criteria.
• Provides technical expertise, guidance, training, planning and support to other SEMSWA staff regarding the MS4 permit and associated requirements.
• Attends internal and external meetings to provide MS4 Permit and water quality expertise.
• Provides SEMSWA communication coordination, which may include the SEMSWA annual report, annual utility bill inserts, press releases and other opportunities to promote SEMSWA’s achievements to a wide audience via articles, postings, and awards.
• Oversees professional consultants work related to MS4 or water quality tasks.
• Collaborates with external entities on initiatives and projects to promote sound watershed planning, regional monitoring, MS4 compliance, and water quality- related activities. Entities may include Mile High Flood District, Cherry Creek Basin Water Quality Authority, Cherry Creek Stewardship Partners, Colorado Stormwater Council and Tri-County Health.
• Performs other duties as assigned. Evening or weekend hours may be required to assist with a serious illicit discharge event, to attend outreach events, or respond to other critical needs.