Under the direction of the City Administrator, this executive-level position is responsible for strategic planning, organizational development, and community engagement for the City of Cañon City Public Works department. This includes providing leadership for all areas of the department including Water, Streets, Facilities, Parks and Engineering.
- Plans, develops, coordinates and organizes effective operation of all Public Works within the City ensuring compliance with federal, state and local laws.
- Provides high-level strategic analysis and advice to the City Administrator and City Council on matters concerning the Public Works Department and the community. Evaluates public works needs and formulates short- and long-range plans to meet needs in all areas of responsibility including without limitation, flood control, general maintenance, snow removal, tree removal, street and bridge maintenance (inclusive of curbs, gutters and sidewalks), traffic engineering and other public works projects and programs.
- Participates in the City Administrator’s strategic and operational planning efforts; participates in Department Head meetings; assists other departments as the need arises.
- Manages and leads Public Works Department personnel, including establishing standards; assigning and reviewing work; developing employees including managers and supervisors; allocating personnel; and recommends decisions regarding personnel actions such as employee transfers, promotions, disciplinary actions, and salary increases. Manages the development and implementation of departmental policies and procedures. Conducts and attends departmental staff meetings.
- Prepares and analyzes department budget. Manages operations within budget guidelines based on strategic goals, and monitors actual revenues, costs, and expenses relative to budget. With assistance from the Finance Director, develops and manages equipment replacement plan and capital improvement plan.
- Oversees and directs contract administration and management for all Public Works projects. Issues workorders and/or solicits bids when appropriate for purchases made for Public Works Department. Obtains approval from City Administrator for major purchases.
- Responsible for organizing and staffing safety programs for Public Works staff; encourages safety compliance in all phases of work. Assists with conducting safety education training for the Department. Identifies and reports all safety/hazard situations.
- Represents the City in various capacities, including preparing and presenting agenda items to City Council. Works with other government agencies such as CDOT, Corps of Engineers, Fremont County Sanitation District, etc. Meets with citizen groups and neighborhood/homeowner associations to address department-related issues.
- Responds to complex questions, complaints, and requests for information and service regarding department activities in a timely and customer friendly manner.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.